Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cooking Pad Thai


Cooking Pad Thai, originally uploaded by AnnaRae.

Today my roommates and I got our first cooking lesson from an aunt of a friend. We asked her to teach us how to make pad thai. I'm not a huge pad thai fan myself, but it seemed like a really quintessential Thai dish that it would be nice to be able to make back home. Our teacher walked us through all the steps.

You start by making the sauce, combining fish sauce, tamarind, and sugar on the stove. This is the most complex part. After that, you slice up your ingredients and get to cooking. First in the wok is pickled turnip, dehydrated shrimp (found in lots of things here), and tofu followed shortly by the fresh shrimp. Once they are all a little fried, you add the rice noodles and some water, followed by 2-3 tablespoons of sauce when the noodles are cooked. Then you add an egg to the wok and mix it in. Finally, you throw in the fresh vegetables-- bean sprouts and chopped Chinese chives. Finished!

I'm sure I could replicate it... it just might take some practice. Making sauces can be scary. It was a fun and delicious experience and we'll certainly be doing it again.

3 comments:

  1. You are sure developing a culinary repertoire! I'll let you whip this one up on our brand new gas range; its a cook's dream. I made us beautiful omelets last night. Is that lemon grass in the jar in the corner by your sink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not my kitchen. I'm really not sure what that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and you look like a happy cook! Can't wait to have you mix some up for me! Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete